The 7th Darlington Sea Scouts have been providing co-educational Scouting in Darlington for over 100 years.
There have long been arguments for the official start date of Sea Scouting with it being either 1909 or 1910. The first camp for Sea Scouts was in 1909. A competition was advertised in the “Scout” magazine for 100 boys to win the chance to go to camp on the ship T.S. Mercury. This was to take place between July 24th and August 7th 1909 and was an experimental camp similar to the 1907 camp on Brownsea Island which had heralded the start of Scouting. This certainly heralded the beginning of Sea Scouting but at this point it had not been officially recognised. The 7th became a Sea Scout group as a trial for land based groups and after its success it was decided that the 7th would stay a Sea Scout group.
We offer scouting to all from 6 to 100! For boys and girls. In our group we believe in the great outdoors and own our own campsite complete with log cabin on the nearby Raby Estate. We camp over 15+ times a year all over the country with specialist water camps and walking expeditions.
We meet during term time every Wednesday at Eastbourne Methodist Church which is the home for the Darlington Christian Fellowship. We have full use of the hall, sports hall and kitchen area and Eastbourne Park and Eastbourne Sport Complex is only around the corner which means the great outdoors can be achieved even on a meeting night!
10 Things You May Not Know About Scouting
- Scouting is for girls as well as boys.
- Scouting is a global movement.
- Young people can join at any stage of their development.
- The Scout Association is a registered charity.
- Scouting is great value!
- Robert Baden-Powell, the Founder of Scouting was recently voted the 13th most influential person of the 20th Century.
- Famous former Scouts include Paul McCartney, Billy Connolly, Stephen Spielberg and David Beckham.
- Each day 100,000 people in the UK take part in Scouting activities.
- Scouting for Boys, Baden-Powell’s blueprint for the Scout Movement is one of the most popular books of all time.
- Scouting was 100 in 2007.