Date: 30th Apr 2023 Author: Richard Smith


Washout at the Cabin, The Cubs first camp fo the year was eventful but still very exciting.  The cubs arrived on site around 7ish Friday night and pitched their tents and moved in for the weekend.. little did they know that it would be one night in the tent and not two.

The Cubs held flag brake and rules and then collected some wood for the fire, they played in the woods then sat around the campfire for a chat and chill before supper. Supper was served and everyone enjoyed camp made calzone pizzas using wraps and lots of cheese.

It was time then for bed and everyone got comfortable and warm in the tents and went to sleep.

Around 2am the heavens opened, and it rained and rained and rained some more.  When everyone got up in the morning, we were underwater.  The site had flooded and so had the tents and the river had risen by 2 foot from the night before. A plan was needed! Everyone had the usual breakfast of sausage, eggy bread and beans with added bacon.

The Plan! The camp moved form the flooded plains of Raby and headed to the centrally heated and dry insides of the District HQ on Neasham Road in Darlington! We arrived and moved in quickly setting up a screen for a movie and a campfire for smores.  We even had 2 little visitors that George had to rescue from his small holding! 2 little lambs joined us before being taken home to be bottle fed.

Sunday everyone was up fed with pancakes cooked by Young Leader Ben and then off to Preston Park in Stockton and a visit to Butterfly World. Everyone had fun and enjoyed being nice and warm and meeting al the creatures from Koi and Butterflies to Meercats and Tarantulas! After this everyone played a little on the adventure playground then back to HQ to pack up and go home.

Even after a bad start everyone had a fantastic time and can’t wait for the next camp.

Put your phone down and what are you left with? Just teamwork, courage and the skills to succeed.’
Bear Grylls, Chief Scout Bear Grylls